Functional Area 40 Space Operations Officers (FA40s) must be able to synthesize complex information, anticipate operational and strategic challenges, and effectively communicate (both written and verbal) complicated options and solutions to senior Army and Joint leaders. The FA40 Officer is innately perceptive and has a high level of intuition to complement exceptional research, investigative and reasoning skills. An FA40 must be an innovative and creative problem-solver, able to understand the reliance of military formations on space capabilities and be able to fight through and continue operations when conflict extends into space. They must also possess the confidence to make tough decisions that involve sensitive space operations in a timely manner. They are self-starters who seek new opportunities to advance the Army’s missions. They work independently or as team members at all levels of the Army and the Joint Force
The FA40 community is comprised of officers from many branches/functional areas. This wide range of experience has helped make it a diverse and inclusive functional area. The best indicator of success for this functional area is previous performance. Although a technical degree is not a requirement, many FA40 assignments are technical in nature. Officers need to be capable of clearly and accurately communicating technical information and concepts. This is a highly educated specialty; over 70% of FA40s have advanced degrees and work on senior-level Army, Joint, and Interagency staffs.
Space Operations Officers serving in operating force positions deliver Space capabilities to the Warfighter and the Army's Astronaut Program which falls under the USASMDC NASA detachment at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX.
- You must be a United States citizen; applicants in a dual citizenship status are ineligible.
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a TOP SECRET security clearance.
- You must have at least a four-year college degree, preferably in a relevant field.
- You must possess a combination of advanced degrees and/or relevant industry experience totaling at least 4 years in a designated career field.
- At least one of your degrees must be in a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) discipline.
- You must complete an Army commissioning physical, meeting basic fitness standards for service as an Army officer.
- You must complete the application packet
You will compete against other qualified applicants, and you must be selected from among your peers to fill a specific, operational requirement or critical need.
The Army currently has requirements related to space situational awareness (SSA); space control; positioning, navigation and timing (PNT); space-based intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR); satellite communications; environmental monitoring; or missile warning.
Four Year Degree preferred in one of the following fields:
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM); Liberal Arts; Economics; History; Government; International Relations; Foreign Area Studies; Information Operations; Business; Management; Education; Communications; Political Science
Graduate Degrees preferred in any STEM field.
- Download the following documents and fill them out
- Documents needed to upload:
- 8x10 full length photo
- Transcripts (unofficial/student)
- Sample Writing
- Any certifications
- Prior Military documents
- Letters of Recommendation
After all items are together---